Affects Version/s: None
Fix Version/s: None
Template:MODULES Bug Template customfield_10700 289908
Method Found:Customer Feedback
CS Priority:Needs Priority
QA Risk Assessment:Needs Assessment
The puppet_agent class has a "source" parameter that can be used to specify the location from which packages should be downloaded during an upgrade. This parameter is often needed in environments that have a proxy or load balancer between the agents and the puppet server. However, Linux agents interpret source as "a root directory" under which to find distrobution-specific package repositories whereas Windows agents interpret source as an absolute URL for a .msi file to install.
These incompatible interpretations between directory and file means that setting source for Linux agents will cause Windows agents to fail their upgrades and vice versa.
- Install PE 2018.1.5 and Bolt 1.x on a CentOS 7 master node.
- Configure the master with Windows and CentOS 7 packages for PE 2018.1.4:
- Install the puppet_agent module:
- Install the 2018.1.4 agent on nodes running CentOS 7 and Windows:
- Add an alternate hostname to the master and as an `/etc/hosts` entry on the agents:
- Apply the puppet_agent class to upgrade the agent nodes, but specify the new alternate hostname as the package source:
- Run the upgrade on the agent nodes:
The upgrade runs on both nodes:
But the agent is only upgraded on the CentOS node:
The CentOS node had a Yum repo configured that used the alternate master URL:
While the Windows node attempted to install a directory instead of a MSI package and failed miserably:
Both the CentOS and Windows nodes upgrade successfully.