During the Puppet Contributors Summit in Gent a part of the open discussion was spent on thoughts about ParsedFile. The general consensus, even Luke chimed in, is that ParsedFile needs to gtfo.
There seemed to be a strong desire to replace ParsedFile with Augeas even for Puppet's own internal uses of ParsedFile.
This would mean a few things:
- The current integration of augeas needs to change, it needs to become a 'first class' citizen / backend to the file type. This would probably also mean some more radical changes to the file type itself;
- A lot of providers would break if we just killed ParsedFile;
- Puppet needs to start using Augeas internally;
- Packages would need to be updated to depend on Augeas;
- Augeas needs to get their Windows packaging fixed;