Since Puppet 3.6.0 the module tool is unable to install new modules if an already existing modules version does not conform to the MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH format.
I believe this behaviour was introduced with the dependency resolver ( https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/commit/6fa68b54ac621d60dbf1b062f8dd66b186d1a87f )
How to reproduce problem:
- Place a module that does not conform with the X.Y.Z version format in your module folder (e.g. https://github.com/mrintegrity/puppet-pound ). To simulate this with another module just edit the metadata.json accordingly.
- Try to install another module
What I would expect:
- Only check the version of modules the new module depends on
- Make it a warning instead of an error to avoid breaking existing setups
- Output which modules version does not conform the the correct format (to avoid thinking the module being installed is at fault)