Affects Version/s: PUP 4.10.10, PUP 5.5.0
Template:PUP Bug Template customfield_10700 245716
Sprint:Platform Core KANBAN
Release Notes:Bug Fix
Release Notes Summary:puppet plugin download will reuse HTTPS connections significantly speeding up the download process.
QA Risk Assessment:Needs Assessment
The puppet plugin download command doesn't re-use connections to the
Puppet Server when downloading plugins from modules. This adds considerable time to
downloads along with extra load on the Puppet Server due to multiple redundant TLS handshakes.
- Install puppet-agent 5.5.0 and puppetserver 5.3.0 on a CentOS 7
- Configure the puppet agent to connect to the local host and start
- Run puppet agent -t to verify things work.
- Install the puppetlabs-windows module, which brings in a ton of
plugins that will have to be synced:
- Empty the plugin cache, and time a puppet agent run along with the
number of network connections it opens:
- Empty the cache again and time a puppet plugin download run along
with the number of network connections opened:
The puppet agent run uses a handful of connections:
The puppet plugin download run uses hundreds of connections and takes much
longer than the puppet agent run despite only doing a subset of the work:
The puppet plugin download action should complete much faster than
puppet agent -t when populating a cold plugin cache.