Resolution: Won't Fix
r10k Version: 1.4.1
If a user attempts to deploy from a Git source that contains branches with Unicode characters r10k will convert the Unicode characters to "" characters. If the whole branch name is non-ASCII then the resulting environment name will be all underscore characters. (i.e. "______")
- Install PE monolithic master.
- Verify master is operational.
- Install and configure local Git repository.
- Install the r10k gem.
- Configure r10k with a single Git source with a branch that is non-ASCII Unicode.
- Attempt to deploy environments with r10k:
The r10k deployment should fail with a reasonable error message explaining that only ASCII alphanumeric characters are allowed.
The Unicode characters in the branch are converted to "" characters and the environment is successfully deployed. If the whole branch name is non-ASCII Unicode then the environment name will be comprised of all "" characters. The impact to the user is that if there are multiple non-ASCII Unicode branches there is a high likelihood of name collision or confusion for the end user.