The main Puppet Docs page on the Server needs to be updated with information on how to better debug Ruby code in the heart of the Puppet Server.
Items that we would like to see covered include:
- How to use Pry inside of the new Puppet Server (here apparently https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-server/blob/master/documentation/dev_debugging.markdown)
- How to spin up a Server instance at the command line and obtain useful output
- How to tap Server metrics without a JMX plugin (many admins don't eat, live, and breathe Java)
- How to compile code at the command line to pinpoint issues with Types, Functions, and Back Ends
- How to debug through the Indirector
- The absolute minimum footprint that can be used to spin up a Puppet Server process for testing two clients